Welcome to 2014. Let’s believe that this year will be even better than 2013 and that our dreams come true… maybe not all of them, cause that might be too much for only 365 days, but the little ones could come true and make us happy 🙂 May your days be filled with love, joy and passion and may your hearts be filled with happiness and gratitude.
Since we all seek happiness in our lives and happiness comes with luck (which everybody defines differently.. but being happy means being lucky enough to reognize happiness), let’s help our fortune a little. On the last day of the year, I decided to bake some fortune cookies to welcome the New Year. I got a cookie stamp for Christmas and wanted to try it out anyway and what better occasion could I get than New Year’s? The recipe comes with the stamp, but I changed it slightly, because I didn’t have any eggs at home and for only half an egg there is no point buying a whole bunch of them, right?
1/2 egg (I used a tbsp soy yoghurt instead. You can use any plain yoghurt or buttermilk)
1 tsp baking powder ( because of the yoghurt, I used 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda)
lemon or orange zest
1. beat butter, egg (or yoghurt) and sugar until fluffy
2. add flour, baking powder (and baking soda if used), salt and lemon/orange zest
3. mix until well blended (I kneaded it by hand)
4. wrap in foil and cool in fridge for an hour
5. take dough out of the fridge and roll out (5cm thick)
6. with a glass or cookie cutter, that is slightly bigger than the stamp, cut out round cookies
7. stamp cookies and make sure that the stamped pattern is clear and visible (while baking the dough rises a little and the pattern will get less. You need to make sure it’s deep enough)
8. bake 10-15 minutes at 200°C
9. after the cookies are cooled down completely use powdered sugar to emphasize the pattern. Brush of the sugar from the surface. It will stay inside the letters and make them more visible
Btw. the stamp, along with the recipe, is from “Brinkmann”.
Enjoy the cookies and start this year with a very fortunate tummy 😉
Good luck in 2014 for all of you!!!